How can you help!
- It is possible that most smokers are not aware that cigarette butts are harmful to the environment. It is important to create clear messages showing that cigarette butts are a huge source if litter and to encourage smokers to properly dispose of them and not throw them onto the ground.
- Encourage law makers to create local laws that target cigarette butt litter in order to raise public awareness and help change attitudes and behaviors.
- Encourage smokers to use portable ashtrays and NOT throw cigarette butts on the ground or out of a car window.
- Encourage cities to install more small, portable, and pocket ashtrays in order to allow smokers to take personal responsibility for the proper disposal of their cigarette butts.
- Install ash receptacles in places where smokers must put out their cigarettes before entering a business or building.
- Encourage people for form an effective group of supporters who can come together around cigarette butt prevention.
- Encourage smokers to use an ashtray as it was intended and empty their car ashtray in the trash, not on the street.
- If a smoker is in the car and it does not have an ashtray, they should use a soda can until they can properly dispose of the butt.
- If you see butts on the street, sweep them up. Never have someone use a hose to spray them down the storm drain.
- Smokers should keep a mini trash bag in their car. This will not only help them remember to properly dispose of their butts in an ashtray, but it’s the correct way to dispose of their trash.
- Help educate and make smokers aware of the damage these harmful cigarette butts have on our environment...by doing so perhaps they would think differently about cigarettes and smoking!!!
Be a part of the solution...prevent cigarette butt pollution!